Monday, January 4, 2010

First attempt at adding milk

On Saturday I made some cornbread for my kids and decided it was time to try the oral baked challenge test. I added 1/4 c cow's milk and 1 1/4 c almond milk to the batter. My son had one large piece of cornbread. I didn't tell him that there was any dairy in the bread so that I could do a blind test with him. The next day, he came to me and said, "Mom, look at this rash." He broke out in an eczema rash on parts of his arm, the backs of his legs, and on his chest. He also said that he was really itchy. I was hoping for no reaction since his blood work came back so low, however, it looks like he is still sensitive to dairy. I will be calling the doctor at Johns Hopkins Hospital to advise on how to proceed. My boys who get ear infections have had no adverse reactions that I can tell. Perhaps they will be able to tolerate baked milk?

2 comments:

Christy Jones said...

Hi,
I just found your blog and site and wanted to thank you for taking the time to write about this. My second son is allergic to milk and eggs and has been since he was a baby, he is now 7 years old and still has not outgrown it. I Love,love,love new recipies and reading about your challenges as they are similar to mine!!

Juventa said...

You're welcome:) It's nice to know that we're not alone in dealing with food allergies.