Friday, May 11, 2012

Ear infection returns...and yummy barbeque sauce:)

My second oldest son has been off dairy for many years due to a recommendation by our ENT. He had had ear infections every 6 weeks since he was a baby for eight years and had five ruptures in his left ear. He also had tubes put in twice. We have been very strict, however, as of late, my son has wanted to "test" dairy products. He is 13 years old now, and I felt that it would be okay to try trace amounts. Shortly after our move out west, he said that he couldn't hear out of his right ear. It progressively got worse, until I finally was able to get him in to see a doctor. Sure enough, his right ear was infected. He also failed the hearing test in both ears. Strange, since we haven't had problems for years. We go to see a new ENT on Monday. I will be curious to see what he says. I have no idea if it is related to the small amounts of dairy that we have permitted or if it is related to a new area (seasonal allergies?). Needless to say, I will take him off of dairy again until we are certain what has caused the infection. Fun times:)

On a side note, my husband made the BEST dairy-free barbecue sauce that I have ever tasted. I wasn't able to take a photograph because we devoured it so quickly (there were NO leftovers). He cut the chicken up into small strips and cooked it in the sauce (covered in a skillet) until the chicken was no longer pink. Here it is:

1/2 c ketchup
1/2 c salsa (we used Medium heat picante)
4 T brown sugar
2 T white or cider vinegar
2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. mustard powder
1/2 tsp. salt
dash hot pepper sauce or crushed red pepper
1/2 onion, diced and sauteed

Saute onion and set aside. In a saucepan, combine all ingredients together and bring to a boil. Add onion. Pour or brush over desired meat and cook until no longer pink.

No comments: