Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Dairy-free and Soy-free Protein Shake

I've started working out again and wanted to find a dairy-free and soy-free protein shake (as we have both allergies in our home). I found vanilla flavored Hemp Protein powder, and despite its color, found it quite tasty. Here's the recipe I used:

8 oz. Rice Milk OR Almond Milk
2+ T Hemp Protein Powder
1 frozen banana
1/4 c blueberries or strawberries (frozen or fresh)
1 tsp. vanilla (optional)
ice

Blend all the ingredients except for the ice together. Add ice one cube at a time until you reach desired consistency. This is a great post-workout shake as well as an energy shake. Warning...the Hemp Protein powder is GREEN and your shake will look like it came from the movie Shrek! My kids, however, liked this perk:) Although it is a little bit powdery, I find it quite enjoyable and not too different from other protein shakes.

(I've posted this earlier, but another quick protein shake is to take pasteurized egg whites (1/4-1/3 c) and mix them with orange juice, pineapple juice, or berry juice. You can even blend in a banana and ice, if desired.)

No comments: