Friday, September 11, 2009

Soy allergy invades our dairy-free home

I went to the allergist last week and found out that I have developed a soy allergy. It was a 3+ on the skin prick test (the same size as the histamine test). I suspected it because my throat got a lump in it after eating soy yogurt and started tightening. I felt the same thing after drinking a cup of soymilk...lump in throat, tight chest, difficulty swallowing. I know that adults developing allergies was possible, however, I never thought it would happen to me, especially since we suffer with so many dairy allergies in our home. I found myself angry, bitter, and then devastated this past week. That said, I am determined to make lemonade. There are many people out there who suffer from both a dairy and a soy allergy, and if they can do it, then so can I! Since soy has been a major source of protein for me since I currently can't have dairy (it upsets my nursing baby), I will begin by finding ways to get my protein needs met. Although the cookbook that I wrote contains soy in many of the recipes, most are easily adaptable to be both dairy-free and soy-free. I will list the adaptations on my website as soon as I can. One success we had was a Lemon Barbecue Grilled Chicken dish (delicious!!!). I will post the recipe on my website www.milkallergycompanion.com under the "Free Recipes" section.

I did a little bit of research on www.calorieking.com to find out the nutritional content of various milk substitutes. It looks like almond milk can vary immensely depending upon brand. I included goat's milk, but since I don't know if goat's milk is safe for children with a dairy allergy, I am going to do more research before introducing it into their diet. I don't want to introduce something that will hurt my anaphylactic son.

Here's the list:

*Food Item:* Serving Size: Protein (g): Carbohydrate (g): Calories: Fat (g): Dietary Fiber (g):

*Almond Milk (West Soy)* 1 c; 9; 5; 90; 4.5; 4

*Almond Milk (Blue Diamond)* 1 c; 1; 8; 60; 2.5; 1

*Almond Dream* 1 c; 1; 6; 50; 2.5; 0.5

*Hemp Bliss, Manitoba Harvest* 1 c; 5; 7; 110; 7; 1

*Oat Milk, Pacific Foods* 1 c; 4; 24; 130; 2.5; 2

*Goat’s Milk, whole* 1 c; 8.7; 11; 169; 10; 0

*Goat’s Milk, Low-fat* 1 c; 7.4; 9.4; 89; 2.4; 0

*Rice Milk* 1 c; 1; 23; 120; 2.5; 0

Almond milk by West Soy and Low-fat Goat's Milk seem to have the best nutrients and highest protein sources, however, if they taste bad then it's back to square one! I do love Rice Milk, just wish it had more protein:) I'll continue to blog more as I gain more experience with a soy allergy. From what I've read so far, there's a good chance that I can still have Soy Lecithin and Soy Oil, although I still need to do a little bit more research:)

3 comments:

Aidan and Bauer said...

Good luck. I am a avid follower because both of my children and all three of my sisters have some sort of dairy allergy. My sister's husband and their youngest are also allergic to soy. I'm sure she will be tuning in for tips! Keep up the great work. You are an inspiration to all of us who have allergy ridden families :)!

brian said...

Hi Juventa!

I recently found your blog on dairy (and now soy) allergies, and I wanted to reach out. I’m the blog coordinator for EverydayHealth.com. We’re currently recruiting people to write a weekly blog post about their various health conditions and I thought you might be interested.



Everyday Health has over 25 million monthly unique visitors to their website, and there is a lot of potential exposure and traffic to come from blogging with the market leader in online health information. It’s also an excellent platform to promote education of food allergies, and any cutting edge research or advice.


Let me know if this is something that you’re interested in and might like to talk more about.
 I enjoyed reading some of your old posts, and I think you have a unique perspective that Everyday Health readers would love for you to share.


Thanks so much!



Lee McAlilly

Blog Coordinator, EverydayHealth.com
lmcalilly (at) waterfrontmedia (dot) com

erivar26 said...

My son is allergic to dairy and I tried giving him goat's milk and he got a rash, so we're sticking to soy milk for now (he is only 4) but want to change him to some other kind of milk in the near future